Monday, September 1, 2014

A Future Beyond Technology


Welcome to the blog of a 10th grade honors History student from arguably the most historic city in the United States- Boston, MA. From the Industrial Revolution to the age of the iPhone, read along as I explore the past and learn from it to create a better future.

In order to achieve this “better” future, we need educators who will provide students with the necessary knowledge, skills, and learning environment. Oftentimes I feel that when we think of the future, we think strictly of technological advances, but that’s not all that our future has potential for. What I hope for is that one day I, and my grandchildren, will live in a world with widely spread acceptance for all forms of humanity, limited fighting and tension within and external of our government, and emphasis on creativity and new ideas. For this ideal world to become our future, I think that we need educators to treat students and act in a certain manner. I think that a great teacher will emphasize togetherness and companionship within the classroom, making it a fun place for students to be and feel welcome. This great teacher should also allow students to express themselves and encourage them to try new things, as well as offer guidance if necessary. In the past I’ve enjoyed teachers who have helped me learn not only new curriculum, but new ways of expressing myself and communicating with the world. I’ve liked when we learn in new ways, like making videos instead of watching them, or creating our own paintings and then studying others. Personally, I want a teacher who will treat me as an individual with my own important ideas. After all, these ideas will lead to our future as a country and a people.

 
Twitter- a new form of communication between teachers and students!
(Mrs. Gallagher's Twitter, https://twitter.com/KerryHawk02)



In John Green’s recent back to school video he nods to this idea that students shape the future as he discusses our duty to the world. Green says “I pay for your schools because I want you to grow up and make my life better.” Unlike Green, I do not think that it is any student’s duty to use their education to improve the living of others. Although it would be nice if every student did do so, I do not think that we should feel obligated to repay the world. Education is a gift and those who receive it are oftentimes more fortunate than they know, but as I repeat, it is a gift. I think that wanting to improve our world should not be a duty forced upon someone, but instead a calling and a hope that one wishes to pursue from the good of their heart. This having been said I feel that whether educated or not, we should all strive to make our world a better place through our actions, personal interactions, and everyday routines.  Personally, I want to do great things, but by that I don’t necessarily mean change the world. This year I hope to do well in my studies, but more importantly make an impact on those around me. I want to make people smile and work together with my classmates to have fun exploring new ideas and learning new things. I want to enjoy my education in a good environment and have opportunities to be creative, and I want the same for my peers. Through a combination of hard work, a teacher who guides me but also gives me freedom, a classroom environment that is exciting and welcoming, and a positive outlook on the future, I hope to reach my goal of enjoying learning this year.

 Check out the video referenced earlier, John Green's, "An Open Letter to Students Returning to School", posted on his YouTube channel, vlogbrothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment